ThinkPad T60 - How to Make a Custom OEM Windows CD

by Kyle

Now updated for Windows XP SP3, if you encounter any problems, please let me know!

Please note that the RVM Update Pack and KB896256 hotfix are no longer necessary with Service Pack 3.

When I first bought my Lenovo ThinkPad T60, I was a little disappointed at the absence of a normal OEM Windows XP CD. This CD would allow the user to install their own copy of Windows free of the preloaded garbage that comes on every machine. After reading some posts and tutorials and running into problems, I finally have the solution for ThinkPad T60 owners. The CD that is created in this tutorial embeds the Lenovo OEM key (different from the one on the bottom of the machine) and doesn't require activation as long as it's installed on the same machine the license came with.

The problem I had previously where the machine would continually reboot when trying to load Windows seems to have been solved by integrating the KB896256 hotfix into the install. Although I haven't tested this yet myself, a forum user has reported that installing this hotfix in Safe Mode resolved the issue. Please be cautious when trying this out and make sure you have a backup before doing anything catastrophic, I cannot be held responsible for any damage as a result of this tutorial. (This is no longer relevant if you integrate SP3!)

A lot of the initial inspiration came from this guide, but everything here has been recreated from scratch to customize for T60 owners. This may work on other Lenovo models, but some of the instructions are likely to change slightly (mainly the drivers and hotfix). Anyway, let's get started.

Update: I tried out the install last night and it seemed to work well. Windows booted up fine the first time and I had only minor problems with System Update not properly installing things. This may or may not have been caused by the slipstreaming, but if anyone is willing to experiment, you can easily leave out the network drivers and update pack (make sure to still use the Intel Storage Matrix Driver and the KB896256 Hotfix).

If you have any suggestions or problems, please post a comment below!

Downloads

Preparation

1. Download all of the necessary files listed above.
  2. Install nLite using the provided installer package.
  3. Run the Magic Jelly Bean Keyfinder to retrieve the currently installed CD Key for use later. Write this number key down or save it in a text file.
  4. Execute the driver packages to extract them. By default the packages should extract to C:\DRIVERS\WIN, but please make sure you know where they are being extracted to.
  5. Extract the Windows XP CD Package (wxp.zip) to a drive with at least a few gigabytes of free space. The package includes the necessary CD indentification files that aren't copied on to your hard drive. Note that the package does not include any actual install files, those come from your computer.
  6. Open the cds folder that you just extracted and then open the wxphome or wxppro folder depending on the version of Windows that came installed on your computer.
  7. Do not modify or remove any of the files in this folder since it will become the root of your CD. Copy (don't move) the C:\I386 folder containing the Windows install files into this folder so it becomes a subdirectory (ex. C:\cds\wxppro\I386\).
  8. Optionally, the SUPPORT and VALUEADD folders can similarly be copied into this folder since they are part of the original XP CD.
    View of folder after preparation
    This is what the folder should look like after it has been prepared. In my example I used the wxppro folder since my computer came with Windows XP Pro installed.

Creating the CD

1. Start the nLite program and click Next.
  2. Click Browse... and browse for your Windows installation folder (either wxphome or wxppro).
    Locating the Windows installation
    This is what the screen should look like if you correctly located your Windows installation folder.

3. Click Next twice to get to the "Task Selection" screen. Select the Service Pack, Hotfixes and Update Packs, Drivers, Unattended, and Bootable ISO tasks and click Next.
    Task Selection
    Make sure your Task Selection screen looks like this.

4. On the "Service Pack" screen, click Select to locate the Service Pack 2 3 install file. If a message comes up saying that "Previous Hotfixes have been detected," hit the Yes button to remove them. Once the Browse window comes up, locate the executable for Service Pack 2, it should be called WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe and click Open. Wait for the slipstream to complete and click the OK button when it says "Integrated install has completed successfully." Make sure the version is now reported as "Windows XP <Version> Sp2 Sp3" and click Next.
  5. On the "Hotfixes and Update Packs" screen, click the Insert button and locate the "RVMUpdatePack" you downloaded. Do the same with the KB896256 hotfix. There should now be two items listed and you should click Next to proceed.
    Hotfixes and Update Packs
    This is what the screen should look like after the correct items have been added.

6. On the "Drivers" screen, click the Insert button and click Single driver. To add the Intel Storage Matrix driver, navigate to the driver folder (usually C:\DRIVERS\WIN\IMSM) and choose the file iaahci.inf. Select "Textmode driver" and only "Intel(R) 82801GBM SATA AHCI Controller (Mobile ICH7M)" and click OK.
    Storage Device Textmode Drivers
    Make sure the selections match before clicking OK.

7. To add the ethernet driver, click the Insert button and click Single driver. Navigate to the Intel PRO/1000 LAN driver folder (usually C:\DRIVERS\WIN\ETHERNET\PRO1000\WS03XP2K) and choose the file e1e5132.inf.
  8. Optionally, you can do the same for the wireless driver by going to the correct driver folder (usually C:\DRIVERS\WIN\WLANINT\XP\Drivers for Intel PRO/Wireless) and choosing the correct file (NETw39x5.inf for Intel PRO/Wireless).
  9. Once all the drivers are added, click the Next button to continue.
    Drivers
    The driver integration screen should look similar to this.

10. On the "Unattended" screen, you can modify a large number of options for the installer, but I only recommend filling in the product key.
    Unattended
    I recommend filling in the product key only and leaving the other options alone.

11. When you click the Next button, you will be prompted with "Do you want to start the process?" If everything is correct on the previous screens, you should click Yes to make the modifications.
  12. Once the "Processing..." screen is finished, click the Next button to continue.
  13. On the "Bootable ISO" screen, you can choose whether to create an image, burn a CD, or burn an image that you have created previously. I usually create an image to test out on a virtual machine before burning. You can choose any label you want, but I usually use the label "WXPFPP_EN" since it is the label used on all Windows XP Professional CDs I've dealt with. Once all of the settings are correct, hit the Make ISO or Burn button. If you chose to create an image, you will be prompted for a location to save it.
    Bootable ISO
    The settings I use to make an ISO for testing in a virtual machine before burning to CD.

14. Once the burn or image is complete, click the Next button and then the Finish button to exit the program.
  15. If you chose to make an image earlier, you need to burn it to CD before trying to install on your ThinkPad. One free program I recommend is ImgBurn (and it even works on Vista).

Using the CD

1. Before you do anything else, please make sure to backup your important data! It is also highly recommended that you create your recovery discs if you haven't already and manually back up the Lenovo folders from the C drive. The folders to grab are drivers, I386, SUPPORT, SWSHARE, SWTOOLS, and VALUEADD which should all fit comfortably on a DVD. Some of the installers under SWTOOLS can only be found in this folder and not online.
  2. Make sure your laptop is set to "AHCI" under "Config"->"SATA" in the BIOS and that you are able to boot from a CD. If it is set to "Compatibility," there may be problems if you try to switch it to "AHCI" after the install.
  3. If you want to remove the recovery partition (make sure you created your recovery disks before doing anything), you need to disable the "Predesktop Area" under "Security" in the BIOS.
  4. Boot with the CD in the drive and you may have to "Press any key to boot from CD..." if the drive already has Windows installed.
  5. On the partition screen you should be able to delete both partitions (system and recovery) and create one or two custom partitions. I personally use 40GB for C and the rest of my 120GB drive for D and that works well for me, but this is an entirely personal thing.
  6. The rest of the install should go like normal except that you won't have to enter a key during the install. All other prompts should be there just as they once were.
  7. After the install, you should immediately have network access over either ethernet or wireless (if you added the drivers) and should immediately run Windows Update. I wouldn't bother with the drivers at first, but make sure to get both versions of the .NET Framework (v1.1 and v2.0) so that you can install System Update if desired.
  8. From here you are basically on your own and more information can be found on Lenovo's site and at the thinkpads.com Support Community where I usually check in a few times per day.

Notes

• If you use System Update, it might continually say that the Intel Storage Matrix Driver isn't installed and even after you tell it to install again, it will still keep coming up. This didn't happen to me when I tried it and can safely be ignored.
  • It will most likely be necessary to install the driver package for your wireless card again after the install has completed. At least with my Intel PRO/Wireless 3945, Access Connections wouldn't work with it until I installed the driver again, even though Windows was able to connect with it just fine. The main reason for integrating the driver is to get wireless immediately so this isn't a problem for me, but you can always leave it out if this bothers you.
  • .NET 3.0 refused to install via Windows Update, but installed just fine when I downloaded the installer from Microsoft. This may be related to the RVM Update Pack, but I'm not sure at this time.
  • Some packages don't show up in System Update 3.0 and others don't seem to install properly. I don't believe this is related to the Windows install, but it's a possibility. It seems that the best way to install Lenovo software is to use the Driver Matrix.

50 comments

Comment from: Bruce Gavin [Visitor]
Bruce Gavin

Thanks for the great article.
It saved my butt while doing an XP install
on a client laptop without a floppy drive.

I had to install the Intel Storage Matrix
drivers, and was having no luck using the MS
instructions for unattended install.

nLite did the trick. I sent him $20.

03/18/07 @ 01:13 pm
Comment from: Eric [Visitor]
Eric

04/05/07 @ 01:14 am
Comment from: Carl [Visitor]
Carl

Eric wrote:
[When I tried selecting my folder in nLite, it gave me an error "Make sure that the selected folder or drive contains the 'i386' or 'AMD64' directory and proper Windows installation files." I had the exact same files in the directory as listed in the guide so I am rather confused. Thanks for any help.]

Same problem for me :/

04/15/07 @ 02:47 am
Comment from: Kyle [Member]

Hmmm, I didn't see this problem, can you give more details about your computer like exact model number, edition of XP, and when you purchased your computer. For reference, my T60 is a 2613HKU installed with Windows XP Professional and purchased in December 2006. I'm wondering if something is radically different between shipped installations. Maybe a comparison of I386 structures will be in order.

04/15/07 @ 08:26 pm
Comment from: geekygirl [Visitor]
geekygirl

make sure you put the "I386" folder inside the wxppro or wxphome folder and not just the contents.

works great for me. thanks!

04/23/07 @ 01:11 am
Comment from: Dan Klarman [Visitor]
Dan Klarman

I had the same problem so I took the I386 folder from the XP installation CD (not ISO)... It is quite different from the folder in drive C

05/22/07 @ 05:44 am
Comment from: Kyle [Member]

You could try taking the I386 folder from anywhere really, the big thing for this tutorial is to try and do it without having another XP CD laying around. From what I've seen, not all XP CDs are created equal with many of them having radically different files. I'm not sure why this is, but apparently sometimes it doesn't work properly. Just out of curiosity, what computer are you trying this on and when did you purchase it?

05/22/07 @ 09:01 am
Comment from: Roberto [Visitor]
Roberto

Kyle,

I got to this site from the thinkpad forums. You made a comment that even if I were to get original Vista recovery discs from Lenovo, since my machine came with XP, I would not be able to recreate the recovery partition with Vista in it.

Today I received the Lenovo discs. I have a T60. Are you sure that this can't be done, even though Lenovo itself sent me the discs?

I thank you in advance for any answer. Good blog by the way.

06/06/07 @ 11:15 pm
Comment from: Kyle [Member]

Did you get a Vista recovery disc directly from Lenovo or an Express Upgrade disc through ModusLink?

The problem is not that the disc won't work (I'm pretty sure), the problem lies in the fact that Microsoft changed the OEM activation scheme to use new values in the BIOS that were never there previously. I checked my BIOS for these values (My T60 is from December, only a month before launch) and they were not present. The disc will most likely install and create a recovery partition, but given that your computer doesn't have the proper BIOS values and the fact that you wouldn't have a license, you would not be able to activate Vista.

I personally used my Express Upgrade disc to install, having the installer move all old files to the folder "Windows.old" and this seemed to work very well for me. I lost the recovery partition early on in my tinkering, more because the boot manager kept getting broken, but also because the space it took up. I honestly can't imagine having to reinstall my operating system on the fly like that and most likely it wouldn't be a good idea to do so anyway. For these reasons I'm not even concerned with having a recovery partition.

06/06/07 @ 11:59 pm
Comment from: Trevor Savage [Visitor]
Trevor Savage

Thanks a lot for the guide! It worked great. I'm very happy to be able to have an XP install CD, before I couldn't even create the Lenovo restore CDs because the preinstalled OS said they'd already been created before I even got the laptop.

Thanks!

06/09/07 @ 11:38 pm
Comment from: Kyle [Member]

I'm glad this guide is still helping out people. My main motivation was that I don't like those restoration utilities. I prefer to set the computer up my way without all that other crap that even comes with a high-end machine like the ThinkPad.

06/10/07 @ 06:38 pm
Comment from: realthor [Visitor]
realthor

I tried this but the windows installation asks for the activation key, isn't there a way to retrieve it when building the image?

06/14/07 @ 04:25 am
Comment from: Kyle [Member]

If it's asking for an "Activation Key" and not a "Product Key," I'm at a loss. I don't believe it asks for one of those during install. How to get the product key is discussed above using the Magic Jellybean Keyfinder on the current installation of Windows.

06/14/07 @ 07:00 am
Comment from: realthor [Visitor]
realthor

It doesn't ask about it during install, but after installation, when it puts a reminder tray icon which tells you that in 30 days you must activate your copy of windows. I don't know what is wrong but it does ask it.

06/15/07 @ 10:52 am

realthor,

What kind of computer are you using specifically (make and model number)? Did you use the install files (I386 folder) found in the standard image? These files should include the proper four OEMBIOS files and the SETUPP.INI file required for proper activation on your machine. Can I get some more details about the issue?

-Kyle

REMINDER: This method does not circumvent activation in any way, the purpose of this tutorial is to create a disc which will self-activate based on the computer's BIOS.

06/15/07 @ 03:02 pm
Comment from: Jørn Schou-Rode [Visitor]
Jørn Schou-Rode

I recently bought myself a T60P, and was very much surprised by the amount of pre-installed bloatware, as well as the missing Windows media.

Luckily, I found this post, which pointed me in all the right directions as to "extracting" and installing a clean Windows XP. Bye bye ThinkVantage, Symantec, Google, Diskeeper, etc. etc. etc.

Thanks for taking you time documenting and publishing your findings. Without this guide I might just have thrown my new laptop out of the window by now in despair :-)

09/20/07 @ 05:29 pm
Comment from: Kyle [Member]

I'm glad that people still find this post useful! I just wrote it up because it took me a while to get things working the way I wanted them to. At the time I only had this one computer as well, so when things went bad I was generally stuck and had to revert to the default install using the restore DVD which took several hours. Eventually I got it all figured out and was more than happy to share it. Since it was posted, this is by far the most popular thing I've ever written!

09/20/07 @ 05:33 pm
Comment from: Kevin [Visitor]
Kevin

Hey,

I just bought a IBM T60p 3 weeks ago with Vista Business on it and it already crashed... I didnt create a recovery CD and now I need to format it and dont have it. I have a Windows Vista Dell 32 bit CD from Dell and tried to use that to reinstall vista everything was completed and i got an error of registry corrupt 0xc00000e9. I do not know what to do now. Any possible suggestions would be great because I am a student and need my laptop ASAP. Thank you very much.

Kevin

10/09/07 @ 11:28 pm
Comment from: SUKIYAKI [Visitor]
SUKIYAKI

This article was very useful information for my T60.
Thank you.

SUKIYAKI from Tokyo

10/27/07 @ 02:36 pm
Comment from: Fernando [Visitor]
Fernando

Hello,
I followed this doc and created an XP bootable CD for my T60. Installation was OK until admin password window and WS name, when I push next I don't receive any message and the windows stays for hours. If I reboot the process is repeated.
Any idea?
NOTE: I didn't apply RVM, I have spanish XP.

11/22/07 @ 04:39 am
Comment from: Kyle [Member]

I did not experience this problem with any of the failed or successful attempts a building this CD. That said, I only ever attempted to use the English version so I'm not sure if there might be some other problem with the various other languages in the world. I know a few people from other countries had success, but I'm not specifically sure about what version of XP they used for it. My suggestion is to try one more time, making sure to follow all steps carefully and burning the CD at a slow speed (4x speed would be safest) and running the programs "Verify" function to make sure it burned properly.

I'm assuming it has more to do with the CD, but I'm not really sure. During the hang is the hard drive or CD drive still spinning/accessing?

11/22/07 @ 12:40 pm
Comment from: azar [Visitor]
azar

i have windows xp prof sp2,

i downloaded
-Windows XP Service Pack 2 Network Installation Package (Essential

-RVMUpdatePack2.1.11

my question is how can i install/integrate this files to make my pc updated even without using windows update..& can you teach me hoe can i make a boot cd after the process of integration.. ..as of now i recieved error "Make sure that the selected folder or drive contains the 'i386' or 'AMD64' directory and proper Windows installation files" . can you give me a step by step guide. sorry for my question..

any help will appreciated.thanks

azar

01/05/08 @ 10:47 am
Comment from: Fernando [Visitor]
Fernando

Hello,
I decided to do a new test, this was the process:
1.- I recovered my T60 from Lenovo Recovery CDs (XP SP2). This produced 2 partitions on HD, one for recovery issues and the other one for XP SP2.
2.- I built the XP boot CD with SP2, KB896256 and original drivers (located in C:\SWTOOLS\Drivers). In the original installation the folder C:\DRIVERS\WIN didn't exist. I decided to use original drivers because I didn't apply RVM patches (I have spanish version).
3.- I created a disk image and a boot CD (using Burn XP Pro) following your sugestion about copy rate.
4.- I disabled "Predesktop Area" in BIOS.
5.- I started installation from CD, I deleted the recovery partition created by recovery process (4.5 GB) and defined a new one (NTFS). I installed XP SP2 on this partition, no problems.
6.- So, now I have 2 XP systems, one from recovery CDs (with ThinkVantage, ...) and the other one created by myself. This is a very clean XP installation, it starts very quickly.

Conclusions:
When the boot CD creation and installation process failed in November, I applied the last T60 drivers (IMSM, Intel Pro L 1000, etc) and didn't apply RVM patches, I think that isn't a good option.

More questions:
1.- In the clean installation of XP I can't suspend the T60, I suppose because I only Applied drivers for network, wifi and IMSM. Is is possible to generate a new CD including all the drivers? (Bluetooth, modem, energy, ...). I'll try. Is is possible to install TP System Update and download/install new drivers from here?
2.- I need to install XP patches from windowsupdate (spanish version). Is is possible to do a RVM package or similar to integrate in a new CD?

Regards, a lot of thanks for your support.

01/17/08 @ 04:46 am
Comment from: Kyle [Member]

The drivers involved in the creation of the cd are the bare minimum required to get the install and updates completed without any other help. Once the system is installed you MUST run Windows Update and System Update to get all the other important drivers for your system.

As far as the RVM package, I think that applies to English versions only and I'm not aware of one for other languages.

01/17/08 @ 08:41 am
Comment from: Tal [Visitor]
Tal

hi
i just noticed that the current RVM Update Pack 2.1.11 already contains the KB896256.
does this mean we can skip downloading and inserting this hotfix?

Btw, i will try to do this with my TP X60s. does anyone know of any special issues?

thanks!

02/13/08 @ 05:24 pm
Comment from: Kyle [Member]

I haven't specifically tried this out, but more than likely it would work. Give it a shot and let me know.

02/13/08 @ 07:17 pm
Comment from: Tal [Visitor]
Tal

ok i will try it of course, and let everyone know, the next few days hopefully.
another thought as an alternative to making custom OEM cd without the crap, maybe it's stupid but tell me what you think:
formatting the HD, reinstalling windows from the rescue discs, including all of IBM's crap, installing all updates and new drivers, then UNINSTALLING all the crap, deleting the hidden partition and making a disk image.
whenever you want a new start, like a clean install, you just implement the disk image...
would that be a good alternative?
thanks

02/15/08 @ 02:35 pm
Comment from: Kyle [Member]

My major problem with the that approach is that all those uninstalls leave a lot of residual crap behind. You could try something like the "PC Decrapifier" and see if that helps, but I just prefer to do my installs from scratch and know exactly what files I've installed.

The other major issue I have with Lenovo's install is the customization of the OS font sizes and system settings (at least on my 1400x1050 display) to compensate for the higher resolution display. I bought the higher res display and I surely want to take advantage of it! When I figure booted the machine, everything just looked WRONG.

Anyway, I wouldn't discourage giving that a try, but I prefer the OEM disc method myself.

02/15/08 @ 03:00 pm
Comment from: Else [Visitor]
Else

Great article, really helped me a lot. For German visitors: You can have a similar update pack like the RVM here: http://www.sereby.org/index.php

Regards
Else

03/02/08 @ 06:49 am
Comment from: spirit [Visitor]
spirit

I was really stunned when the Lenovo/IBM guys told me they wouldn't send me a fucking Windows XP CD for free after paying 1600€ for a high quality laptop. I had a Thinkpad R51 before my current T60, and it was no problem back then.

You article solved my problem, glad I saw it *before* I sold the old harddisk. Great work, thanks a lot for your efforts.

03/06/08 @ 03:47 pm
Comment from: John A Davis [Visitor]
John A Davis

I burnt a CD according to your directions, included the sata matrix inf file (T61 version) and now I get this error when I try to install:

File ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded the error code is 14.

Shame on Lenovo and MS for making this such a tedious task.

03/20/08 @ 07:45 pm
Comment from: John A Davis [Visitor]
John A Davis

I rebuilt a bootable CD and I got this error at about the same time and place (very beginning). SATA is set to compatible.

File\i386\biosinfo.inf could not be loaded. The error code is 14

03/21/08 @ 11:13 am
Comment from: John A Davis [Visitor]
John A Davis

Ok, I got it to work. Thank you very much. Here is where I posted my whole saga:

03/23/08 @ 04:06 am
Comment from: An Nguyen [Visitor]
An Nguyen

Hi, nice to meet you. I just want to ask you about my issue. A while ago, I did recovery CDs, revmoved recovery partition, and created another partitions. Now, I want to use recovery CDs but I dont want to remove my current partitions except OS partition. May you show me how I do this. Thank you so much.

My laptop is T60

06/15/08 @ 09:06 am
Comment from: Kyle [Member]

In this case, I'm not sure there is much that can be done. The recovery CD is destructive and removes all partitions from the drive creating the OS and recovery partitions. This is another reason why I did not like the recovery CD which came with the computer and proceeded to make my own OS install CD.

06/15/08 @ 02:54 pm
Comment from: JanR [Visitor]
JanR

Hi,
thanks for the guide.
I have the T60 and I am going to clean install.

I have a question about XP SP3.
I have XP SP2 system (and disc), so what I must do in nLite integrating dialog?
Must I put only SP3 there, or SP2(And why I have to do this, if I have already SP2 disc?) and SP3?

With SP3, it is essential to install KB896256 hotfix? I have red that with that hotfix you have to do some editing in registry..

Thank you!

07/10/08 @ 03:08 pm
Comment from: Kyle [Member]

If you already have a working XP SP2 disc, then you don't necessarily need to reintegrate the SP2 files; that step is necessary to create a working disc from the I386 folder located on the computer itself.

What I would recommend, given the release of SP3, is that you integrate XP SP3 into the install using the standard method of service pack integration. This step is instead of integrating SP2. Since SP3 includes the KB896256 hotfix, you cannot integrate that hotfix. It's also probably a good idea to skip the RVM update package when using SP3 since I have not personally tried this. All other steps should apply directly.

07/10/08 @ 03:42 pm
Comment from: JanR [Visitor]
JanR

Maybe I wrote it badly.
I have recovered my T60 into factory state, where I have XP SP2. Now Iam trying to make a CD from i386 folder, but I have also downloaded the SP3 pack.

So, can I forward your guide and integrate only SP3, or, I have to integrate both SP2 and SP3?

07/10/08 @ 03:57 pm
Comment from: Kyle [Member]

I just updated the guide, but to be clear, you should not have to integrate Windows XP SP2, you can just go right to SP3 (as service packs are generally all-inclusive).

07/10/08 @ 04:16 pm
Comment from: JanR [Visitor]
JanR

Kyle,
thank you a lot for the explanation.
This is really very useful guide.
Regards,
JanR

07/10/08 @ 04:21 pm
Comment from: Fra [Visitor]
Fra

Thanks a lot for the info.
I have two questions:
- I followed the instruction, but when I try to load the ISO created (example with virtualbox) the setup exits with Service pack 3 claiming that autocheck not found.
Using service pack 2 I was able to complete the installation but the next reboot windows hangs
- do you know if it is possible to extract only windows installation to use in a virtual image (agai virtualbox)

Thanks a lot
Fra

07/28/08 @ 08:25 pm
Comment from: Kyle [Member]

I have not experienced either of the problems you describe and was able to boot and install the SP2 image in VMware with no issue. I also had no problems installing the SP3 image on my T60.

One question that's important to note is what version of Windows XP did your laptop ship with? My instructions are only guaranteed to work with English versions, so this could be an issue.

Also, just as a point of information, you cannot install the image you create on any computer other than the one the original files came from. This means that you also cannot install it on a virtual machine as the license explicitly prohibits installation on any other computer.

07/28/08 @ 09:47 pm
Comment from: Tal [Visitor]
Tal

Hi Kyle
i really appreciate your work!

i have a TP X60s, i hope this will work for me too!
my C:\I386 is only 473MB. is it possible or did something go wrong during the year+ that i have it installed, and with all the problematic IBM updates i've done..?
the I386 directory on the Recovery CD (the bootcd) is only 173MB...
what do you say?

any tips for X60s ?

many thanks,
Tal

08/16/08 @ 10:55 am
Comment from: Kenn [Visitor]
Kenn

I was easily able to adapt these instrunctions to create a good OEM CD for my T43 Thinkpad. Thanks for making this information available!

10/15/08 @ 02:43 pm
Comment from: mb [Visitor]
mb

Seems like it was working great, but for some reason it didn't like my key, which I had extracted using the KeyFinder, didn't seem to work... odd.. any other thoughts on how I might get past this. I'm working on an X60; I have a full XP CD, but I get the i386\ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded message when it boots.

06/28/09 @ 12:53 am
Comment from: Christine [Visitor]
Christine

I had a lot of problems with T60 recently. I wanted to wipe out all the data, so I started to use a few recovery disks my husband made. Then the system asked me to put another one, and I couldn't find any. Now the laptop is stuck. Every time I turned on, it will go to the recovery page. I tried F11, F12, F6, etc, and it didn't work. I think the OS is damaged.

I wonder what I should do in this case. Would the article help me? Can I made the CD using another computer?

06/29/09 @ 06:07 pm
Comment from: mariner [Visitor]
mariner

Good morning Kyle,

I was wondering how to do something like this on my two Thinkpads; you answered a lot of my questions.

Anyone who thinks he might want to try this should get nlite while it can still be downloaded somewhere; the entire nliteos and vliteos web sites evaporated a day or so ago.

09/07/09 @ 08:57 am
Comment from: ace [Visitor]
ace

Wow. Got a new hard drive for my aging T60, and your instructions work flawlessly--thanks for putting this together. MS and lenovo should give you a medal. (or just stay out of your way)

07/15/10 @ 01:41 pm
Comment from: x_25 [Visitor]
x_25

I haven't tried this yet, but I did a similar thing with my old Thinkpad t30. The instructions I used for that CD are now only on the Way Back Machine and half the links are broken. When I did track down the files I needed and tried it on my t60p it wouldn't integrate SP2 and I couldn't get it to work.

I will be trying this in a few hours once I use a Linux live CD to recover some files from my now virus ridden hard drive and then reinstall from the install partition, make back up disks and then create one of these CDs to use for installing my new 500GB Western Digital hard drive. Even now I am grateful you spent the time to figure this all out, I was worried I wouldn't be able to pull it off.

12/02/10 @ 08:57 pm
Comment from: S51 thinkcentre [Visitor]
S51 thinkcentre

Thanks so much for this guide.
I have a thinkcentre desktop for which the recovery partition was missing, but using your guide I was able to make a clean, pre-activated IBM OEM WinXP Pro SP3 installation CD with my network driver already installed.
Many thanks.